Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Capetown Chronicles 28th Nov.-17th Dec. 2006


















Looking back at these pictures of the installation, which was held at The Museum Of the City of Port of Spain, Fort San Andreas, South Quay. Trinidad and Tobago.

You tend to think of the things that I could have done, should have done. Yuh beat up on yourself.

 I'm realizing the gut impact of the installation, the raw impetus of getting it done and doing it. I really terrorized the space. On returning we had to be careful on how we dismantled the work, as not to cause to much damage.

I will like to think that is something the National Museum and artists will have to take into consideration, When implementing installations. We will need assistance in setting up and taking down our work. As not to create to much stress on these old architectural structures.




On returning from Capetown, where the work started and was first shown. It told the story of death. The death of activism in a community that was just ten years out of the apartheid system. One of the first things I did when I arrived was to sit in the library and immerse myself in the cultural history of South Africa.

One thing that struck me, was these amazing posters, which were made during the political struggle to overthrow the regime that implemented the apartheid system.

Man they where vibrant hot and political, with serious graphic, which told the message. To now, I was looking at this capitalist agenda, the streets were filled with posters selling lifestyles most people couldn't afford, rather than empowering en mass a people who belonged together in a journey of discovery in self and in nation.

The posters where taken from my journal and transferred to PVC, by one of the new black owed printing companies that where set up through a programme to allow the flourishment of black businesses.

The cost was $1200 to print 12 PVC PRINTS at an average 109x81cm.

You think you can get that in Trinidad and Tobago?

The process mimicked the way the posters operated, from design to processing it within the printing, to the way it operated within the urban.

That was my last installation and I look forward to installing the Paint Installation Project at the National Museum and Art Gallery of Trinidad and Tobago.

I was told that October will be the month.

Lets see how this works out. That why Buy One Get One Free, must be seen in context to the body of work it belongs to.





ADDED VIDEO

No comments:

Post a Comment